Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Writers Write Day: Wednesday, August 11

Last Friday, I received an email about Writers Write Day from fellow writer Rita Gerlach. The official date? Tomorrow, Wednesday, August 11. Here's what Rita had to say:

"Writers, there is a tug-o-war going on for your attention. It mostly comes in the guise of the Internet. Next Wednesday, August 11 is Writers Write Day. The goal of this all day event is to immerse writers in their manuscripts without the distractions of blogs, Facebook, social networking sites, news sources, etc.. Let's admit it, they do pull us away, and sometimes hours go by and we have lost valuable writing time.

Here is what to do.

1. Put a 'do not disturb' sign on your door.
2. Write for at least three hours in the morning. If you start at 9am that will bring you up to the noon hour.
3. Take a lunch break.
4. Write for four hours in the afternoon.
5. That evening post on your blog, Facebook, etc. how it went. How much work did you get done?

Here is what you CANNOT do.

1. Do not peruse the Internet. That includes Facebook and other social networking sites.
2. Do not make phone calls unless absolutely necessary, and make them during your break.
3. No text messaging.
4. No television or radio, but by all means listen to inspirational music that helps the creative juices flow.

Let your family and friends know that you will be going into a day of seclusion to work on your manuscript. Hope you have an incredible time writing."

It sounded wonderful to me, but...yeah, there's always a "but."

In my case, the "but" comes in the form of a preteen whom I prefer not to leave to her own devices for seven hours, and a doctor's appointment for said preteen, made months ago.

BUT (there it is again), I'm not giving up. I like the idea too much to pass, so I'm stretching my Writers Write Day into three days. I started this afternoon, will put as many hours in as I can tomorrow and will finish on Thursday, if necessary. The times I designate as writing times during those days will be Internet-free...but Facebook and blogs do make a nice reward for a job well done, as does email.

How about you? Are you up for a challenge? Or, are you such a well-oiled writing machine that this is child's play for you?

2 comments:

Cate Masters said...

This sounds like exactly what I need Lisa! Unfortunately morning's out, but I have no excuse for the afternoon. :)

Lisa Lawmaster Hess said...

I've actually stretched mine across a few days because I can't abdicate parental responsibilities (including a yearly eye dr. appt.) for the whole day. Between last night and today, I got a little over 5 hours in...a little less than two to go!

Good luck, Cate!