Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful for many reasons

by Cate Masters
Yesterday when I checked my email, I found a contract from Eternal Press for my novel, Fever Dreams!
Being so close to the Thanksgiving holiday, I've been tallying up all my blessings for this year. Topping the list are my wonderful and supportive family. I love you all more than anything.
My friends and critique partners are amazing, giving sound advice while cheering me on.
I've met many incredible people this year. Though some only virtually, their warmth and caring and creative spark shine through.
Though this year has been tough for many reasons, it's been incredible on the writing front. Fever Dreams will be my eleventh story contracted by an epress this year, and the third with Eternal Press. Like One Soul for Sale and Picture This, Fever Dreams will be available through Amazon as well.
This story has special meaning for me. It represents the return of my muse, who'd given up on me while I raised my kids and went off to Tijuana on a drunken binge. After I began writing this story, she returned with the vengeance of a ten-year hangover and has been lobbing story ideas at me faster than I can type. I'm not complaining. I'm typing as fast as I can, or writing in notebooks, or generally mulling over what the characters might be planning to spring on me next. And loving every millisecond of it all.
Fever Dreams probably won't be easy to classify. It incorporates the theme of a woman finding her bliss in life, which doesn't necessarily mean romance. Although it has a love story, it's a complicated one, much like real life. But it also contains some dream sequences that aren't quite fantasy. I'll leave the categorizing to the experts.
In the meanwhile, my muse is waiting. And I don't want to keep her waiting anymore.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, all.

Cate Masters writes fantasy/dark fantasy, historical, contemporary and speculative fiction, described by reviewers as “so compelling I I did not want to put it down,” “such romantic tales that really touch your soul,” “filled with action scenes which made it a riveting story,” and “the author weaves a great tale with a creative way of using words that makes the story refreshing to read.” Visit Cate online at www.catemasters.com, www.catemasters.blogspot.com or follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

2 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Congratulations on your contract and the reanimation of your muse. Happy Thanksgiving.

Cate Masters said...

Thanks much, Susan. The same to you and yours.