Sunday, July 26, 2009

Navigating Social Media

After numerous protests to the contrary, I finally put myself out there last week. I joined Facebook. It hasn't disappointed.

In the space of less than a week, I've re-connected with the best man from our wedding, three theatre friends, one of whom is soon to become a Jersey girl, several writer friends, my best friend from high school, a friend from college and a number of other people I'm having a blast talking to.

As a writer who is trying to figure out how to build a platform, find writing time and have fun with social networking without allowing it to take over her life, I got a kick out of Jana Reiss's "Ten Commandments of Social Media for Religion (and Other) Authors." While part of the beauty of online contacts is the breakdown of geographical boundaries, it's nice to know that putting oneself out there doesn't necessarily require the breakdown of all boundaries. While most of what Jana says is common sense, she lays it out in a humorous, helpful way - it's kind of like having my very own networking GPS.

Thanks, Jana. And happy networking!

No comments: